Tastes change

By Gary Korb

A few weeks ago I wrote the following copy for an email sale on Independencia cigars: "I remember when Tabacalera La Aurora introduced Independencia in 2002. At the time I found them a to be too full-bodied for me. Now I'm in love with this cigar." The point being, that as you gain experience smoking premium handmade cigars, your palate matures as well. That spurred my interest in returning to some other cigars that were too heavy for me in the past.

Case in point is the Partagas Black Label cigars selection. The line was introduced in 2001, which also marked the beginning of a new wave of full-bodied cigars to come. Like the aforementioned Independencia, at that time I just wasn't ready for it. Other, more experienced cigar smokers all around me were raving about it, while I was left scratching my head in wonder.

So, about two weeks ago I picked up a Partagas Black Label Piramide. The wrappers are so ebony dark in color I can see why they might scare-off the typical tyro. I fired it up, and to my surprise it was exquisite. Thick, creamy smoke that was knee-deep in flavor, and not overpowering at all. I couldn't believe I had been missing out on such a great cigar all these years, and it wasn’t the cigar, it was me.

I'm sure I'm not alone. I'm curious to know what cigars others have returned to after a long absence and found that the experience was much more pleasurable than they remembered.

Comments

Popular Posts