My Weekend Cigar: Arturo Fuente King B

By Gary Korb

Saturday night I got together with my good friend, "Richard-from-up-the-street," to enjoy a couple of good cigars. He does a lot of business traveling, so it had been a while since we'd last smoked, too.

My cigar of choice for the evening was an Arturo Fuente Chateau Fuente Sun Grown King B. Believe it or not, this was my first. I had purchased the cigar at the suggestion of Famous Smoke Shop retail store manager, Jeff Brown, last fall. Richard treated himself to Plasencia Reserva Organica Corona.

The King B is one hefty sucker of a cigar. At 6"x 55 dimensions, this beautiful "Beli," which is part of the Arturo Fuente Chateau Fuente Sun-Grown cigars line, comes wrapped in a cedar sleeve that when removed reveals a flawless Ecuadorian sun-grown Rosado wrapper.

The cigar toasted and lit perfectly. Richard commented that the cigar had a very "Cuban-like aroma." I agreed, and once the cigar got going, I thought it had a very "Cuban-like" flavor, too. The smoke was thick, creamy, and robust; medium to full in body, dominated by flavors of aged cedar laced with sweet tobacco notes. I paired it with Offley's Reserve Tawny Port, which helped bring even more of the cigar's flavor into focus. I think we lit up at about 8:15, and the King B was still going at about 10:45, without a relight.

I don't normally smoke tapered head cigars because I've found a lot of them to be a bit finicky in terms of their burn and draw, but this King B was absolutely magnificent. At about $6.75 a cigar, considering the size, flavor and all the time it afforded me to enjoy it, the Chateau Fuente Sun Grown King B is well worth it.

Comments

Popular Posts