Retro Smoke: La Fontana Galileo


By Gary Korb

This week's selection is about as "retro" a cigar as it gets for me. This morning, I was at the Riverview Country Club in Easton, PA where Camacho Cigars are hosting the second annual "Camacho Cup" golf tourney, which is part of Famous Smoke Shop's Cigar Expo & BBQ Bash 2008 weekend.

I was out on the course shooting some video of the golfers, when I ran into Camacho sales rep, Joe Holtman. He was driving around in a golf cart checking on the tournament and making sure the players were well-stocked with cigars. He came along just in time, because I needed a ride back to the clubhouse so I could pick up my car and get back to the office. Naturally, he offered me a cigar, and I noticed he had a box of La Fontana Vintage cigars with him - Galileos to be exact. I said to him, "Man, I haven't smoked one of these in I don't know how long."

Once I got back to the office I fired it up. I'd forgotten that La Fontanas, like Baccarat cigars (also made by the Eiroa's), have a lightly sweetened cap. The La Fontana Galileo is a 5 x 50 Robusto. The draw was completely effortless. Once lit the smoke flowed like fresh cream revealing earthy-nutty and sweet cedar flavors with just a smidgen of spice on the finish. I had it with a cup of freshly ground Nicaraguan coffee - a nice complement to this mild to medium bodied cigar.

It's funny, how sometimes when you go back to a cigar you haven't smoked a while, how much more you appreciate it. I can easily recommend this cigar to anyone who's new to premium cigars, as well as more seasoned cigar smokers who want a reasonably-priced cigar with a pleasant little kick.

I'm glad Joe came along. He not only saved me a very long walk, he helped get my weekend off to a great start.

Comments

Popular Posts