My Weekend Cigar: Cusano 59 Rare Cameroon Robusto


By Gary Korb

Almost one year ago to the date in this column, I wrote about smoking the Cusano 59 Rare Cameroon Preferido. This weekend, Famous Smoke Shop had an in-store event with Cusano Cigars and I returned to the Cusano 59 Rare Cameroon, this time in the Robusto shape (which is referred to in my earlier blog). In fact, I had several over the weekend, and I must say, the Cusano 59 Rare Cameroon selection is my personal favorite of the Cusano premium cigar lines; and speaking for the Robusto alone, it's also one of the most well made and consistent cigars I've ever smoked.

The cigar is very well packed and coated with a pristine African Cameroon wrapper. The cap clipped off cleanly (for one cigar, I used a punch). The pre-light draw was effortless, while also sweet and woody, and the foot lit evenly across upon lighting.

The smoke was sweet and creamy with a woody base accented by notes of toasted nuts and a ripple of nutmeg. But what really impressed me about this cigar was the burn. The ash was one of the firmest, going for at least 2 inches before dropping off, exposing a perfectly round-headed cone. Another smoker sitting next to me smoking the same cigar had his burn almost the entire length of the cigar, and other customers noted similarly long ashes on their 59's, too.

This is a medium-bodied, full-flavored cigar with lots of natural sweetness (in the aroma, too), perfect for enjoying in the afternoon, as I did, or in the morning with a cup of coffee.

I think I still prefer the Cusano 59 Rare Cameroon Preferido, mainly for its shape, but the Robusto is a tried-and true winner. As you can see the by scores below, I enjoyed it immensely.

Scores:
Appearance: 9
Construction: 10
Burn: 9
Draw: 9
Flavor: 9
Aroma: 9
Final Score: 9.1

If you've smoked any Cusano 59 Rare Cameroon cigars, your comments are welcome.

Comments

Popular Posts