My Weekend Cigar: Perdomo Habano Maduro Toro


Last week, Bethlehem, PA hosted its annual 10 day MusikFest, and if you're a Bethlehemian (I made that up. I'm not sure what Bethlehem residents call themselves; I'm from New Jersey.), it's almost "required" attendance. It's sort of The Olympics of music. You get to see singer/songwriters and bands from all over the world, while being overcharged for food, plus you drink a lot of beer. And since MusikFest is held outdoors, you also see a good number of people smoking cigars.

This past weekend I made my second trek down to "Fest" with my friend Richard-from-up-the-street, my two boys, a few other friends, and of course, we brought our cigars. Richard brought an Oliva Serie G Cameroon Corona, and I brought a Perdomo Habano Maduro Toro.

Perdomo Habano cigars have become one of my regular favorites, particularly in the Maduro wrapper. I love the evenly dark, oily patina of the wrapper and the cigar's 5½ x 54 dimensions. The cigar lit perfectly and drew well producing a thick, creamy, medium to full-bodied smoke dominated by earthy, woody flavors laced with an undercurrent of sweetness. As the cigar smoked toward the middle it picked up even more in flavor enhanced by subtle notes of dark chocolate and cocoa. It remained consistent all the way down the final inch, never turning harsh or bitter.

This is one sweet and robust cigar that I also recommend to newer cigar smokers who are looking to jump into a much more full-flavored cigar that won't overpower them.

~Gary Korb

Comments

Popular Posts