What's politics got to do with it?

I have to admit, sometimes I can't help but get a little peeved with the way some people respond to the most nugacious things when it comes to politics. Without a doubt, millions of Americans are stridently zealous in their political views, but sometimes it gets carried to the point of absurdity.

On the eve of what may be the most significant election days in several generations, I call your attention to a phone call I received this morning from one of the Famous Smoke Shop call center operators. It seems that several customers were offended by the "cigar quote of the week" I chose for this week's sale on Arganese Cameroon cigars. One customer even asked to be removed from our mailing list altogether if we didn't remove it.

The quote was from an article titled, "Bill & Barack: Smoking Buddies?" by Rick Klein of ABC News. As always, it had do to with cigar smoking, NOT politics. However, since it was accompanied by a picture of Barack Obama, some customers took this as some sort of endorsement for him. Nothing could be farther from the truth. The main reason I ran it was because the email would arrive the day before election day and I wanted something that tied the election to cigars, period.

In June, I ran a cigar quote from an article in TheDay.com titled, "John McCain Has Long-Ago Connection To New London," in which the writer related a humorous anecdote from John McCain's book about the Senator's father and a cigar.

Look, I realize there are many of you who are passionate about the candidate of your choice, and I respect that. Personally, I'm still undecided. Regardless of who you plan to vote for, I think it's fair to say that every American voter wants what's best for the country. Will the winner deliver the goods? That remains to be seen, but let's not let politics get in the way of our enjoyment of good cigars.

~ Gary Korb

Comments

Unknown said…
Gary,

Some people need to get a life.

DAvid
Unknown said…
Gary,
I am a loyal customer of FSS that found your choice of subject for "Cigar Quote of the Week" as showing poor taste and, at best, poor business judgement.

Clinton, as I'm sure you are aware, is indelibly tied to cigars in American history not for smoking them, but for only one rather disgusting and inappropriate use. The reference might get a chuckle between a foursome of guys on the golf course, but it is not appropriate, in my opinion, for showcasing in a public newsletter.

And why would you put yourself in a position that might appear to at least half of the US voting population (and your customers) that you support the candidate that they oppose? Most people are so fed up with the political bombardment of this seemingly endless campaign, the last thing they want or expect to see in a FSS email is something political.

My suggestion is to simply follow your own advice: "...let's not let politics get in the way of our enjoyment of good cigars." If you are really undecided on who you will be voting for today--after a two year campaign--this might explain your naivete that apparently led you to the quote choice.

Anyway, let's all light up a fine stogie and move on.
CigarAdvisor said…
Thank you all for chiming in.
~ Gary
Anonymous said…
Gary,

I honestly don't see what the big deal is. In no way did I think that you were backing Obama, and even if you were, big deal. I actually voted for McCain, and in no way was I offended by the quote. Give me a break here people - IT IS A QUOTE! Now if you were sending Mr. Obama free stogies, well, then we have some problems haha...But seriously, we all need to just chill out here, and shut off CNNs and politics for just a moment. I'm sure FSS meant nothing by it.

Happy smokes,

Five5

Popular Posts