What does Famous Smoke Shop have in common with the top 25 best cigars of the year?







I can't take all the credit for this blog. Not only the idea, but the facts come courtesy of Famous Smoke Shop special projects manager, Jeff Brown, who came into my office last week with a copy of Cigar Aficionado's "Top 25 Cigars of the Year."

Jeff tosses the magazine on my desk and sits down. With his hands pressed together, he leans forward, turns toward me with an inquisitive look and asks, "What does Famous Smoke Shop have in common with these cigars?"

"I don't know, but you're going to tell me, right?"

"Of the three manufacturers who appear at least four times in the top 25, A. Fuente, My Father Cigars, and Raices Cubanas, two of them are making new cigars exclusively for us."

As I peruse the list, I see what he's talking about.

My Father Cigars, Inc. (Nos. 3, 6, 18, and 25): Home to Don Pepin Garcia Cigars, not only did My Father Cigars produce the Famous 70th Pvt. Sel. Anniversary by Garcia Family cigars, but they are also producing the new Maroma Fuerte, Siboney Reserve, and the soon to be released Famous Signature Series by Garcia.

Fabrica de Tobacos Raices Cubanas S. de R.L. (Nos. 16, 19, 21, and 22): They're making the soon to be released Famous Value Line Honduran #400, the next edition of Famous Smoke Shop's VSL (Viso/Seco/Ligero) series, and a new Bayamo cigars line.

But wait - there's more. You can't count out Plasencia's Segovia Cigar Factory in Nicaragua (Nos. 12 & 24). They already make dozens of cigars for Famous Smoke Shop including last year's Famous Pvt. Sel. 70th Anniversary by Plasencia cigars and Nesticos.

Then there's Tabacalera La Flor (No. 13), Litto Gomez's factory, which is also going to be making a Famous Signature Series cigar.

Finally, Rocky Patel's El Paraiso Factory took the No.8 spot. El Paraiso also produces Famous' Conuco cigars, Rocky Patel Rosado and American Market Selection cigars.

Still don't believe these house brands stack up to the better-known labels? You ought to try some of these cigars. As for the die-hard cynics, I wonder what cigar goes well with crow pot pie?

~ G.K.

Comments

w.d. southern said…
i love your site. i never was much of a cigar man until seeing the vast content of your collection. i wish i could afford to try them all, but that would be impossible with the avg. lifespan of approx. 75 yrs. ha ha...
thanks and keep up the great work.
w.d.southern
scfowler said…
I'm commenting a little late, but better late than...

I agree with the premise of the article. I enjoy several of the cigars that are made exclusively for Famous. My favorite is the RP Cuban Blend in the corojo wrapper. A top notch cigar that compares nicely with Camacho Corojos. The Cruz Reals with the dark wrappers are sleepers and would appeal to a wide group of preferences. And of course, don't forget the Nicaraguan 3000 and 6000 lines; they are great everyday smokes.

Popular Posts