My Weekend Cigar: Tempus "Genesis" and nub Connecticut "460"

By Gary Korb

Because I was working at the "Famous Smoke Shop Cigar Expo & BBQ Bash 2008" this past weekend (June 7 & 8), I was fortunate enough to receive samples of several new cigars. Two standouts I happened to come by were the new Alec Bradley Tempus "Genesis," a 5½" x 42 Corona, and the portly little nub Connecticut "460."

I smoked an Alec Bradley Tempus "Genesis" Friday night and was immediately impressed with this cigar. It really is a beautiful looking cigar, too. The seven-year aged Criollo wrapper is and even, dark-chocolatey color with an oily patina.

From some of the reviews I had read so far, I expected this Corona to be much spicier. It did have some kick to it, but it was exceptionally smooth dominated by dark, cedary, and toasty tobacco flavors with a subtle sweetness on the finish. The smoke was also amazingly consistent. Sometimes a Corona can turn hot on you late in the smoke, but the cigar stayed true down to the 3/4-inch mark when I finally put it down. If full-flavor's your thing, I highly recommend this cigar. For what it's worth, the Tempus Genesis also scored a "90" in the May 20th issue of Cigar Insider. Now I know why.

On Saturday night I tried one of the trendy new nub cigars from Oliva. The nub Connecticut "460" has an attractive blonde Ecuadorian Connecticut wrapper that's exceptionally smooth and silky in feel. I like wide-ring cigars, yet despite its short length, it felt balanced in my hand.

As advertised, they sure packed a lot of tobacco inside this 4" x 60 number. The all-Nicaraguan filler and binder blend offered rich, earthy flavors laced with sweet cedar and delicate notes of spice on the finish. The smoke was exceptionally creamy, medium-bodied, and smoked coolly. The cigar also burned perfectly. I really enjoyed it, and look forward to trying the nub Cameroon next.

Comments

Popular Posts