My Weekend Cigar: Plasencia Reserva Organica Robusto


This weekend I had a cigar that I had been home-aging since last October, and once again I proved that sometimes all it just takes is a little extra patience to get what you expect from a good cigar.

The cigar in question: The Plasencia Reserva Organica Robusto. This is one of my personal favorites, and if you've never smoked a "certified" organically grown and cured cigar, this Nicaraguan puro line is really something to behold. The organic process is fascinating in and of itself, and the result is a very pure, and naturally sweet tasting cigar with an equally sweet aroma.

When I received the cigars last year (a 5-pack), after lighting up the first one I immediately noticed it was a little "green." The taste was somewhat bitter and the odor a little musty, too. For such a high-quality cigar, this was certainly the exception, and caught me off-guard to say the least, since I happen to know the care and the quality of the tobaccos that go into making it. All that aside, I kept my faith in the blend and decided to let them stew a little longer.

Five months in the humidor later, the cigar had shed it musty aroma for that sweet, hay-like scent you find in most cigars when you run the wrapper under your nose. I paired it with a cup of Brazilian coffee made in my French press - it makes the best coffee!

Once lit, the smoke was smooth and creamy dominated by a sweet cedar flavor with a trace of nutmeg on the finish. I just let the cigar smoke itself, puffing about once a minute, and it just got better with each drag. The cigar smoked for about 1½ hours and I didn't want it to end. I smoked it down to about an inch and there was no trace of bitterness even at that point. The coffee really complemented the flavors, too.

Moral of the story: Even with the best cigars you can end up with an occasional crapper, but sometimes, as in that song by Depeche Mode, you just have to "reach out and touch faith."

Comments

Popular Posts