Does "over-lighting" your cigar lead to a bad burn?

I've found that if I have a hard time lighting a cigar from the start, the cigar will often burn funny.

Thing is, some cigars just don't toast-up all that well. You may find this particularly true with cigars that have a lot of Ligero tobacco in the filler. That's because Ligero is predominantly oily.

I usually try to get the best burn possible before puffing; blowing on the foot until it's entirely glowing red. In some cases, when the glow settles, you can still see some black tobacco. At this point you have a few choices: Hit it again with the cigar lighter, keep blowing, or start puffing and hope that it takes.

I suppose it depends what kind of mood you're in, but I often give-up and opt for the puff, sometimes alternating between puffing and blowing again on the foot. But even if that gets the cigar going, I find that in some cases the cigar will start to canoe after the first inch or so.

Could this phenomenon be called "over-lighting?"

Traditionally speaking, premium cigars should be lit as gently and slowly as possible. It could be the cigar is somewhat over-humidified, too. I know that some cigar smokers prefer to age their stronger cigars at RH levels closer to 65%. Perhaps this is the reason.

I'd sure like to hear about your experiences with this "phenomenon," so please leave a comment.

~G.K.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It seems to me that it is mostly related to how well the cigar is rolled. I have experienced the overburn event, but usually only with a relatively less costly cigar. I have noticed however that this does happen more often with cigars that are double claro type. But since I am not a fan of double claro cigars I stay away from them anyhow.
Jonathan
Unknown said…
yes,thats great

just get some cigar lighters from http://www.abclighters.comn

Popular Posts