My Weekend Cigar: Tatuaje Havana VI Nobles

As many of you fathers and sons hopefully did yesterday, I enjoyed a Father's Day cigar with my brother during a break in the insufferable rain that's plagued the northeast these past few weeks. My brother lit-up CAO Criollo Pato, while I partook of a Tatuaje Havana VI Nobles I purchased as part of a Tatuaje Robusto variety sampler. The blend consists of an all-Nicaraguan blend with an attractive and oily Colorado-hued wrapper. The triple cap is superb and clipped-off perfectly, followed by a nice, easy draw.

Pairing it up with a glass of Smoking Loon Pinot Noir, the pre-light had that wonderful earthy-cocoa flavor I normally associate with Padron cigars. But once lit, it was nothing like that at all.

ACT I: The cigar started out with a smooth, medium-bodied character. The smoke was especially creamy with a mostly earthy-woody flavor underpinned by some toasty-nutty notes.

ACT II: By the 2-inch mark the cigar had changed-up to a much more full-bodied smoke. The core flavors were still there, but now heavier and spicier with a note of sweetness in the mix. Another impressive feature of this cigar was the burn. The ash was firm, flawless, and held on for at least an inch between ashing.

ACT III: In the final two inches, the cigar held-up nicely even after an unexpected re-light. The spiciness picked-up somewhat, but the smoke remained creamy, woody and spicy with that little glimmer of sweetness. Not a complex cigar IMO, but really solid, and left me wanting more, though I might opt for a single malt on the next go-round.

The Tatuaje Havana VI cigars have been compared to the classic Cuban cigars in flavor, and I can see now where that comparison comes from. Highly recommended for the full-bodied fan.

Appearance: 9
Construction: 10
Burn: 9
Draw: 9
Aroma: 8
Flavor: 9
Final Score: 9.0

If you've smoked any of the Tatuaje Havana VI cigars, please leave a comment to compare notes.

~ Gary Korb

Comments

Chas said…
I have smoked many Angeles and the Almirates(sp) vitola as well. As I am a huge robusto lover I have yet to try the one you have written about. I never get the huge bomb of flavor others have written about in regards to the Angeles. The longer vitola always had burn/draw issues, even if it seemed the combustion was perfect, very little smoke was the result. I can call the Angeles a good value, however the 68 Illusione is so much better in so many ways, IMO. As a side here, the Verocu East Coast is by far my favorite cigar for the money and I have a place that still has 6 boxes remaining in inventory!!! If you have not had one, message back and I can mail you one....the best $10 cigar in the world..I think!!!

Popular Posts