What's in a cigar's name?

Have you ever enjoyed a cigar totally blind, with no clue as to its origin? Does it add to the experience? I humbly submit to you, dear reader, it most certainly does.

Recently, a flood of unnamed, un-banded cigars has washed over Famous headquarters. Having spent time repping various boutique brands, one of our Famous tribe is swimming in cigars at home. In an effort to thin out the herd, he's taken to playing "Cigar Claus" at around 8:30 every morning.

Sometimes he recalls the manufacturer, and sometimes he doesn't. Frankly, I find myself partial to the latter scenario. No name means no expectations going in; no need to judge it against other cigars made by that manufacturer; no compulsive mental cataloging of the experience, to be hauled out another day like some "fish this big" story.

No, with all that cerebral static silenced, my attention focuses like a laser beam on the reason I started smoking premium cigars in the first place: pure, unadulterated pleasure.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not going to go home and remove all the bands from my stash. But let it be said that there's nothing like the enjoyment of an unidentified cigar to remind us of why we all started smoking cigars.

Here's a hint: it has nothing to do with Fuente Fuente OpusX, PadrĂ³n, Pepin, or Tatuaje.

- Hayward Tenney

Comments

Anonymous said…
Well said, my friend. I now know my cigars aren't going to waste and will gladly fill your humidor tomorrow again.... 8:30 sharp!!

Humberto
Syrlinus said…
Indeed. While the band can give us the heritage is the enjoyment with friends and the flavour of the cigar itself that makes it enjoyable. It's one of reasons why I always try to find the non-standard cigars to try out. Means being adventurous and able to just enjoy for the sake of enjoyment.
Mikko Eriksson said…
Excellent Post! Enjoyment is the key to appreciate premium cigars...

Mikko
www.worldofcigarsblog.com
Your article is an excellent description/analogy of the essence of "Cigar Blind Tasting".

Herman
10-7 Habaneros Aficionados Club

Popular Posts